RANGE SAFETY RULES:
- All firearms must be cased or holstered prior to entering the range.
- Shooters and observers are required to wear hearing protection and eye protection at all times, beyond the designated area, during live fire periods*.
- Removing firearms from a case or holster can only be done at the shooting bench with muzzles pointed down-range and only during live fire periods.
- Firearms are not to be handled during a cease fire period** for any reason.
- Uncased rifles placed in a rifle rack must be unloaded with magazines clear or removed and actions open.
- Live fire is permitted when safe conditions exist and only when directed by the Tower over the loudspeaker and the flashing red light is turned off.
- Muzzles must always be pointed down range, directed at the backstop while on the shooting bench.
- Firearms must be kept unloaded until you are ready to shoot.
- During a cease fire period, shooters are to stay behind the yellow safety line unless picking up brass or downrange checking targets.
- During live fire periods shooters are to stay behind the red firing line.
- Carrying firearms between shooting benches must be carried, unloaded, with the muzzles pointed up and actions open.
- Discharging your firearm is to be directed into the earthen backstop only.
- Persons who have been consuming alcohol or are under the influence of drugs are prohibited from shooting. Alcohol and illegal drugs are prohibited on all ranges at the Joe Foss Shooting Complex.
- Following these rules while using the range is mandatory. Violators may be asked to correct unsafe shooting activities and may be asked leave the facility if not in compliance, and may also be subject to criminal and/or civil sanctions.
- PLEASE REMEMBER THAT SAFETY IS EVERYONE’S RESPONSIBITY. EVEN IF YOU ARE NOT SHOOTING AND YOU SEE AN UNSAFE ACT, IT IS YOUR RESPONSIBILITY TO REPORT IT TO A RANGE OFFICER.
live fire periods* – are periods when shooters may fire downrange as directed by the Tower and the red light has been turned off.
cease fire period** – are periods when shooters may not handle firearms and the flashing red light is on.